Wednesday, April 24, 2013

My Clinic with Buck - by Honey - Day 1


Day 1 - April 19, 2013

Today was the first day of my clinic with Buck Brannaman. Martha said I earned an A+ for my work today. It seems she was not expecting me to be so relaxed and focused on my job.

There are 24 horses in my class besides me. I’ve never seen that many horses in one arena before! But it was OK because all I had to do was pay attention to Martha, and I did that. So I don’t know what the big deal was. A few of the other horses got pretty excited and a couple times I almost got run into. Buck told Martha to whack one of those horses on the butt with her flag when he kept trying to run into our space. But that didn’t bother me at all. I just kept making circles “united” and “drifting” like Buck said to, no big deal!

Today we worked on the ground for the whole three hours. Do you know how many circles you make on the ground in three hours? Right – left – right –left. We had done a lot of ground work at home, so I was happy that I knew how to do most of what we did today. We are working on making it better and more consistent, but it was nice to not feel silly in front of the 300 or so people who were watching today.

This is the first time I have stayed away from home overnight by myself. Martha was worried I might not be happy or that I might be worried because I don’t have any friends with me. Ha! Silly woman. You should see the cute gelding in the pen next to mine. Ooo-la-la! He is CUTE and we are BFF’s now. I already got his phone number.

We didn’t take many pictures today because Martha was so busy worrying about whether I might kick at another horse and a bunch of other things she imagined might go wrong (that did not!). I don’t know why she doesn’t trust me more. I trust her, so it seems like at this point, she should trust me, too!

I can’t really see my tail, but Martha said my tail was the whitest and cleanest it has even been and it looked beautiful. I hope she gets a photo of it tomorrow, so I can show Lexie! That’s it for now. Gotta get ready for class!

No comments:

Post a Comment